Wednesday, 20 September 2017

Project 439: A colorful bon voyage card

One of my colleagues for 4 years is leaving and I'm sad to see her go. It's been fun working with her and her spontaneous free spirit will be missed. I wanted to make her a fun card and thought the colors in Color Throwdown this week would be perfect.

I heat embossed a full set of feather stamps in white on watercolor paper and then used Distress Inks to watercolor the background. It's a bit paler than I wanted but oh well. The green dots are enamel accents. I am pretty happy with it, I hope she likes it too!

Sunday, 17 September 2017

Project 438: A modern color Christmas card

It is official: I'm starting my Christmas card makes! I wanted to ease my way into the cards this year so I decided to do some sketch shopping to get inspiration for a few complicated ones while I work out what I'm going to do for the bulk-making.

The colors at Color Throwdown and the sketch at CAS(E) This Sketch were perfect inspiration.

The trees are heat embossed and die cut. The stamp set is almost 2 years old - I got it in a Michaels sale after Christmas. Which makes it elligible for Retro Rubber's anything goes challenge!

The background is blended using Distress Inks and then die cut. I added gel pen white snow blowing from the left to complete the sketch. The sentiment is also at least 18 months old and is heat embossed a floral vellum paper that reminded me of snow. I added some pearl stars just for some texture. Big fan of how it came out - now to make a zillion more Christmas cards!

Saturday, 16 September 2017

Project: A back to school sketch

Hello and happy Saturday! Teachers and students are back at school and I thought it was a perfect opportunity to make a little card for my sister who is returning this year after her maternity leave. I loved the Amy Loves Books image at Sasayaki Glitter, our sponsor this week, of this girl on top of a pile of books and thought she'd be perfect.

I colored the image with ProMarkers and then fussy cut her out as she was a pretty simple shape. The background is a fun paper from Lawn Fawn that I die cut with a stitched die. The squares feature a sentiment that is getting on now, a few years ago Claire gifted it to me.

Such a fan of how it turned out, I hope you are able to join in the fun at Sketch Saturday this week!

Saturday, 9 September 2017

Project 437: A classy birthday sketch and color combo

I have so many friends with September birthdays that I am always making very individual cards in the first week of the month. I don't normally do challenges for special friend birthdays but this week everything came together really well, with the colors from Color Throwdown and the Freshly Made Sketches design providing layout:

I decided to use an X-Cut die set champagne glass, cut out in white and layered over a stitched red circle. The sentiment is from Creative Stamping magazine, I think maybe the June or July issue. The border is punched using a really old American Crafts punch from their Knock Outs series. The red plastic gems are from Poundland, they were a great find in the kids' section.

Really happy with how it came together, I think my friend will love it next week!

Saturday, 2 September 2017

Project: A celebratory sketch challenge

Happy Saturday! This week we've got a fun sponsor, Pink Gem Designs, and a really fun sketch to pair with it:

I decided for my take on the sketch I would invert it so the bigger panel was on the left and the small boxes on the right. I used Cat with Glasses and colored her with ProMarkers. I die cut her out using a stitched rectangle and then heat embossed x3 sentiments from Endless Birthday Wishes and used a smaller die for those. The background paper is Lawn Fawn and the strip of gems is Poundland.

I hope you enjoy playing with the sketch, be sure to enter by the 8th of September!

Saturday, 19 August 2017

Project: Congrats sketch challenge

This is a very fun and silly response to our challenge for you at Sketch Saturday this week.

My friend for life Claire has just celebrated 2 years with us at our company - we've worked together before at a previous company and I couldn't resist the temptation when we were looking to expand our office in New York to see if she was up for the challenge. 2 years later, here we all are! Today marks the start of a girls weekend for us so it's a perfect entry for today.

I thought I'd do something a bit silly and light and instead of a serious congrats card I decided to go a bit whimsical. I used Harriet from our great sponsor this week, Crafty Sentiments Designs and colored it as if Claire was the little girl. I decided to stick with blues and greys and chose a backing paper Claire has admired (re: stolen) in the past. I added a vertical congrats sentiment from Stampin' Up and some string and enamel accents to complete the sketch. I think it will crack her up.

We have a prize of 3 digis this week so make sure you enter by Friday the 25th of August!

Sunday, 13 August 2017

Project 436: A masked blended sketch and color challenge

I saw the colors at Color Throwdown and was going back and forth in my mind for the past few days trying to think of what to do. Then I discovered the sketch at CAS(E) This Sketch and something came together in my mind.

I masked the right hand border and blendd using Picked Raspberry, Peacock Feathers and Seedless Preserve distress ink and added some bleached water dots. I added a few feathers stamped and die cut and faised them on foam for texture. The sentiment is from Stampin' Up Balloon Celebrations.

By making it a birthday card I also wanted to enter the CAS on Friday birthday challenge.

I ended up liking the treatment so much I did it in two other color combinations.


I liked it so much I ended up spending the rest of my day blending and masking so the challenges were truly inspirational!