Saturday 4 May 2013

Project 79: Cinco de Mayo festivities


Hello friends and happy Cinco de Mayo!

I know I have been a bit absent but I am hoping the craft extravaganza I am about to show will make up for it. 

I am throwing a Cinco de Mayo party tomorrow, less because of any Mexican heritage and more because I wanted to throw a party over the bank holiday for a few friends and this Sunday happened to be Cinco de Mayo. So sombreros all around!

I wasn’t allowed to make a piñata as O thought it would be dangerous for us/our things/our friends to hit things with a stick after a few drinks. That makes sense so I decided instead to make a piñata cake, which is the headline picture following this blog’s recommendation.



After making one very deep layer and one shallow layer I hollowed out the deep layer and filled it with sweets. The blog says to hollow out the top but I made the bottom layer deep enough I didn't have to. I iced it and made a piñata template and carefully placed the sugar to get the layered effect. I will take pictures tomorrow when we cut into it to show the sweets pouring out.

Next up is a Mexican spin on bunting, taken from Martha. I love Martha. Also in the little series that I’ve linked to she has a recipe for some alcohol-soaked fruit and good snacks that I’m in the process of prepping as well.


These were pretty easy – I got a big bundle of colored tissue from the 99p store and then cut squares, then cut up the fringe. I taped them together and then folded over the top to have a string tucked underneath so I could hang it across the room.


Here I’ve made a “Pin the tail on the piñata” board using the same tissue paper fringe technique. I pieced it all out and then cut out the shape to mount on the board. I’m rather fond of my one-eyed burro.

Finally I printed out a few of these Cinco de Mayo posters from 1901 to put on the walls and doors throughout my flat.

I’ll take pictures tomorrow once I’ve put out the colorful tablecloths, napkins, plates, party poppers and confetti. It’s going to be ace.

Next blog post will be post-tequila shots… :) 


2 comments:

  1. I love reading your blog each week!!! :) I am looking forward to seeing you in the upcoming year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha, this is brilliant! I am glad to be in NYC, but oh how I wish I had been there for this craft / cinco fun! Cx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment, it's always appreciated