Thursday 15 January 2015

Project: MAWTT use a die or punch challenge



I'm delighted to be returning as hostess this week at Moving Along With the Times - are you ready for the challenge?

This week we are asking you to use a die or punch as a central feature. It can be a die or punch that you use your kit for, it can a pre-cut die or punched shape you've got in your stash - whatever you want to use!

If you're a regulr follower you'll know I'm obsessed with these feather dies. They are my piece of kit of the moment and I'm finding loads of inspiration on Pinterest. There was a gorgeous use of the die by Whimsy Art Cards on Etsy and I thought it was a great way to demonstrate not just a die cut but the use of the negative space as well. So thank you for the layout and texture ideas - you get full credit there!

I started with a plain color and added the embossing folder texture to one layer (houndstooth) and then die cut out the feather. I then layered some patterned acetate on a white card so that it's revealed in stripes. I used a greeting that I thought would work for birthdays or more general occasions as well. The baker's twine and button top it off. I like the almost hidden original feather - I could have stamped over it but thought the simpleness is really nice.

I thought it would be nice to see an alternative so I tried it in purple and black as well:


Here I used a striped pattern paper instead of acetate just to see if it would work - and I think it does:


I was really happy playing with the die in a new way and hope the challenge inspires you in a similar way!

7 comments:

  1. Just gorgeous loving the negatives of the feather.
    Hugs
    Desíre
    {Doing Life – my personal blog}

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant - I keep thinking I'll try this and then promptly forget. You've reminded me again of how good the technique looks. Hazel L. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh WOW these are both brilliant, what great cards, they are stunning, Love Hazel (Didos) xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Wow Jessie!! I can't tell you how much I love these cards… they look SO fab and both colour combos are gorgeous. It's a very clever design with the feather die… particularly love the patterned stripes…. and the twine detail finishes it off perfectly.
    I might have to case one of these cards... think my daughter would love this design… and I've just bought the magazines with the feather die and stamp set! :-))
    Thanks for a fab challenge this week!
    Big hugs, Sue B xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super! And like Sue, I just bought the magazine with the feather dies too!!

    Susan xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Super! And like Sue, I just bought the magazine with the feather dies too!!

    Susan xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW you have been busy making these fab cards
    Hugs
    Carole x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment, it's always appreciated