Tuesday 13 September 2016

Project 359: A head start on Christmas part 1





This post is from the craft date I had with Claire trying to make a few fussy Christmas cards. You want your Christmas cards to look fun and interesting (people expect it when you're a crafter) but then again you don't want every card to take 45 minutes or you'd never get anything else done in the year!

We decided to try a technique where you heat emboss in white and then use your fingers to dip watercolour paint (in this case Distress Ink spritzed with water) to give it a smudgy kind of effect.

The two images I chose were a snowflake set that is new from Claire and one of my oldest Christmas stamps, an owl tree by Little Claire.

For the snowflakes, we heat embossed and then used a couple of blue and purple inks to get the colors. I layered this over purple stock and then used a star border punch from American Crafts for the bottom. I die cut the sentiment from DieVersions and layered it on black card to stand out. It was too busy with the background to get the text on the purple.


The second one used two green inks and I went for a much more dotted look, I intentionally blended less and just built up the color in dots. I kept this one simpler, and added some raffia at the bottom with some bling star stickers at the top. I kept it sentiment free as I didn't think it needed anything.

They took a long time to heat emboss but I think they have a really special effect. Maybe for special friends and relatives only!

1 comment:

  1. I loved making these. I have to post mine later this week..I went Christmas Card Crazy after we parted..oops..I love both of these, but that giant tree is my fave. For SUPER special friends and fam only. Cx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment, it's always appreciated